Due to heavy rainfall and waterlogging, people are facing conjunctivitis or eye flu in the national capital since last few days.
Saurabh Bharadwaj, Delhi Health Minister said, “Hospitals in the national capital are “on alert” to deal with rising cases of conjunctivitis. Doctors and private hospitals were mostly receiving cases from the younger population. These cases are coming up due to humidity in the air.”
Pink eye and Conjunctivitis cases have been majorly reported from the areas located on the banks of the Yamuna River.
Let’s have quick information on the Conjunctivitis:
What is Conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis is another name for Eye Flu and Pink Eye. It is contagious and can be spread from one to another person. Due to inflammation in the conjunctiva of the eye, this disease gives pink appearance to the eye. This disease can be caused by any allergens released from smoke, dirt, pollen or chemicals or due to viruses.
Signs and Symptoms
- Initially, there is a water discharge from the eyes leads to formation of the crust while you sleep and prevent your eyes from opening.
- There is redness in the eyes along with swelling and itching sensation.
- Eyes are sensitive to light.
- Do self care of your eyes by using artificial tears or lubricating eye drops to maintain moisture in the eyes.
- To get relief from inflammation and swelling, use warm or cold compress.
- Stop wearing contact lenses.
- One can use antibiotics for the bacterial conjunctivitis only prescribed by the doctor.
- Wash your hands frequently
- Avoid touching eyes with unwashed hands.
- Don’t share your personal belongings like towels, lenses or glasses.
- Keep your surrounding clean and maintain hygiene.
- If you identify any of the signs or symptoms, visit your doctor.
People shared related information on twitter:
Netizens also shared some funny yet realistic approach people use to take during eye-flu: