RIP Stephen Hawking. 5 Things You need to Know about him
“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”- Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking was the world’s most famous physicist and cosmologist. He captured the public’s imagination as a trapped mind exploring the boundaries of scientific knowledge. In the early hours of 14th March 2018, Hawking took his last breath in his home and passed away peacefully in Cambridge.
On this day here is a list of 5 things we should know about such a great man.
- Stephen Hawking was born on the 300th death anniversary of astronomer and physicist Galileo Galilei. His friends in school used to call him Einstien. Hawking was the first to set out a theory of cosmology explained by a union of the general theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.
- Stephen Hawking had ALS(Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis). He was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 21 that gradually paralyzed him over decades. Throughout his life, he was still able to communicate using a single cheek muscle attached to a speech-generating device.The doctors said he had only 2 and half years to live.
- Hawking starred in a number of TV shows like The Simpsons, Big Bang Theory etc.
- In 1997, Stephen Hawking lost a bet to American Theoretical Physicist John Perskill about the concept of Black Holes, which stated that nothing can escape from a black hole, which was in violation to the fundamentals of quantum mechanics. Finally, he admitted his defeat in 2004.
- Hawking was ranked number 25 in the BBC’s poll of the 100 Greatest Britons. He was a British but his mechanical speech synthesizer had an American accent. Hence explaining Hawking’s accent.