The 17-year-old boy who allegedly knocked dead a man with his father’s Mercedes in Civil Lines here has now been charged with culpable homicide, considering his past record of negligent driving, police said today.
“On examination of CCTV footage, the possibility of knowledge to the accused juvenile offender that his extremely fast driving in a residential area can cause a death cannot be ruled out,” DCP (North) Madhur Verma said.
“Further, during investigation it emerged that it was not the first offence of rash and negligent driving by this accused juvenile. In the past too he was found driving in a rash and negligent way, thereby causing a road accident with another vehicle,” he said.
Last year, the minor was also challaned thrice — for over-speeding in April and June and wrong parking in February.
“In view of these facts, the death of Siddharth Sharma is a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and, hence, section 304 of IPC has been added in the FIR,” said Verma.
Delhi Police yesterday arrested the juvenile’s businessman father who lives at a posh apartment in Civil lines area, under Sections 109/304 (abetment to culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC.
“There has not been a single step taken by the father of the accused in prohibiting him from taking the vehicle. This is an act of criminal omission, thereby abetting the crime of the said juvenile,” the official said.
Meanwhile, the investigating officer of the case was also changed after the victim Siddharth Sharma’s sister met Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Kumar Verma yesterday and urged him to take strict action against the perpetrators.
The incident took place on Monday when Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in Civil Lines and the speeding Mercedes hit him. The car was being driven at a speed of at least 80 km per hour and Sharma was flung several feet into the air by the impact of the crash and landed around 15 metres away from where he stood. After the incident, a group of youths stepped out of the vehicle and fled the spot, abandoning the car there.
Posting #DelhiHitAndRun video
Watch & feel sick, so that sick practice of rich brats mowing down people stops now:-( pic.twitter.com/qdYJQP3dJs
— Akash Banerjee (@akashbanerjee) April 7, 2016
Reactions to the case:
@abpnewstv #DelhiHitAndRun Parents are fully responsible for this should keep in track with kids Delhi is becoming unsafe country
— kaviya (@kaviyachandru85) April 9, 2016
Parents who give teenage kids cars to drive should be charged as well. #DelhiHitAndRun
— Nalini Rathnam (@nalinirathnam) April 9, 2016
As we eke out a living in this great city, some parents in some affluent corners are busy bringing up perfect monsters. #DelhiHitAndRun
— Stereotypewriter (@babumoshoy) April 9, 2016
blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” data-lang=”en”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>Parents who give teenage kids cars to drive should be charged as well. <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/DelhiHitAndRun?src=hash”>#DelhiHitAndRun</a></p>— Nalini Rathnam (@nalinirathnam) <a href=”https://twitter.com/nalinirathnam/status/718721031804821504″>April 9, 2016